Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Blanket

It is ages since I last updated you on the Golden Wedding Blanket. I have tried very hard to make 8 squares a month, have failed sometimes, but have usually managed it more or less. I now have a bit of a dilemma.

Originally I was intending to make it 99 squares big - 11 across by 9 down. I am now beginning to wonder if that is a bit too big and cumbersome - if you could possibly refer to a blanket made almost entirely from Posh Yarn as 'cumbersome'.

This picture shows the blanket as an almost square - 41" x 47" approx.

...and this picture shows it as a rectangle, 36" x 53".

Now my dilemma is this, and I really need all the advice you clever bloggy people have to offer.

Do I have it as a rectangle or square - I wondered if rectangular, mum and dad could use it together, draped over their knees, keeping them both cosy in their dotage (!). But then I quite like the square. And also, do I need more rows/columns? Again I wondered if the symmetry dictates that I should have flowers all round the edge - one set of hearts doesn't look quite right with 3 sets of flowers, if you get my drift.

I will be knitting a border round the edge, very likely with beads in it. The flowers have beads on them - some more than others. This is my favourite style of flower.

So help me please Blogland. I have until September 1st to complete this, so if you feel that I really do need to make another 27 squares, then I will. I have more than enough yarn!

19 comments:

RooKnits said...

I vote for the top one (square -ish) but with another row of flowers on the bottom. I think adding another row to the rectangle will make it too long and thin -
It is looking absolutely gorgeous BTW - I can only imagine how devine it feels.

trash said...

I'll take Option One thanks Victoria. And I think another row of flowers along the bottom is a triffic plan.

wonderwoman said...

if you are thinking of two sharing i would go for the rectangle - either way another row of flowers would look lovely - not that it doesn't look absolutely fantastic anyway! I bet they will be thrilled with such a gorgeous gift.

xxx

Mary deB said...

Square-ish is good. Bed-sized seems good. You could add just the next row on the bottom, with flowers, or think how lovely it would be if you did the whole 99 squares!

Quinn said...

Hmmmm...I can't tell from here. Would you mind sending it over so I can have a closer look?

Quinn said...

Forgot to say, I will send it back. Honest!

Elizabeth D said...

What will the dimensions be if you finish the entire 99 squares? (I'm voting for an option not offered, a nice 8 by 10. . .)

minxxy said...

Keep going!! What's the point in stopping short? It's better to be too big than them fighting over it when one moves and exposes a gap for the cold to get in. The School hols are coming up soon so it is achievable.

You can do it!!

Marie-France said...

I vote for a square one but do another row of flowers. I did a similar blanket last year for my sister in law and her husband (taking inspiration from yours!) but I made it only 49 squares as I had only about 6 weeks to knit it and that is the size of the mystery blankets. They were delighted with it. I think 99 squares may be too big.

sharon said...

Just gorgeous - and i prefer the square, but I would make it 10 by 10. for an even 100 squares - although 9 by 9 is pretty too...

Locket Pocket said...

I can't choose between square or rectangle but I do think it needs the extra row of flowers either down the side or along the bottom to balance it. It is looking absolutely gorgeous and will be fabulous with the border too. What lucky parents! My parents are also celebrating their Golden Wedding Anniversary this year (although not on such an auspicious date as September 1st!!!) but I haven't made or started anything for them. Whoops.

sara said...

I think this is gorgeous however you do it. I do agree with another row of flowers though.
Get knitting!

dottycookie said...

Definitely another a row of flowers, but beyond that I can't decide. It is really lovely though - lucky parents!

marit said...

I love the square one, but would have made another row of flowers(9x9 squares).Not that I would ever embark upon such a project! You're brave!!! It is absolutely gorgeous!!! And they will love it!

Mama said...

My thoughts:
1) LOVE your fav flower!!!
2) square blankie looks better
3) didn't notice the 3-1 issue until you pointed it out but know that it will bother you to no end if you don't add another row of flowers so I am going to vote in favor of your well-being and knitterly satisfaction
4) is it currently big ennough to lay atop their bed (for display purposes) if not, keep going until it is - Mom's like to showw-of their childen's "art work!"
5) use the "extra" to knit 'em each a birthday pair of socks!

xoxo :)

Nathalie said...

I like 9x9. The square needs the extra row of flowers!

Mrs Moog said...

It really is looking very very gorgeous! I know that it'll bug you not to have that extra row of flowers so you have to do more . If you can face doing the full 99 squares it really would be worth it.

Those beaded flowers are stunning!

You are the world's best daughter :)

xxx

Kitty said...

Oh Michaela ... it's gorgeous. You are a clever knitterer. Your mum and dad are going to be over the proverbial with it. I quite like the square version as it sits well with the squares, but I think a rectangular version would also be lovely. I'm a big help, aren't I? :D x

Unknown said...

I'm certain that is certainly attractive however, you get it done. I really do trust an additional reel associated with arrangements nevertheless.
Receive sewing!

gift baskets canada