Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Casting on again!

Well it's been ages hasn't it since I cast anything on. I wanted to try the way of knitting 2 socks together at the same time on 2 circular needles. I really felt this would stop the problem of making the second sock. Only instead of socks, I wanted to make some fingerless mittens. I followed the instructions on some knitting help web page but failed miserably. So I gave up making 2 and just opted for the one. Hopefully I'll manage to do the second one at some stage!

The pattern is based on Porphyria, and I'm using Posh Yarn Daisy - this is a new yarn to me (80% merino and 20% bamboo). It's a lovely yarn to knit with, will definitely be using this one again.

Here's another cake that was collected yesterday. I was just told 'the theme is punting' - so here's my take on that. I enjoyed doing this one. Much more in my line than the mask one from the other day. The birthday girl has gone punting in Cambridge today, fingers crossed that the weather holds out for them. It's not looking good though...

8 comments:

Mama said...

that cake is adorable :)
and the mits are lovely!

Anonymous said...

Cake is lovely as always, clever you. Might that be a poor childs arm in the pink?!

wonderwoman said...

the cake is fantastic!!! i couldn't eat it, i would just have to sit and look at it!
fingerless gloves looking amazing, as always!

x

dottycookie said...

Two socks at once? My head hurts just thinking about it!

Mary deB said...

Hi, It's Thursday and I'm pleased to say that I'm down a pound! Whoo hoo.

Locket Pocket said...

WOW Michaela! That cake is absolutely fantastic! You are too clever!

Lucy x

Quinn said...

I also tried (and tried and TRIED) the 2 socks on 2 circs method, and finally decided I'd rather enjoy my knitting and went back to my dpns. Different strokes!

Must mention although it is not Thursday...this week I was down a total of 4 pounds from my original starting weight. Hope I can keep it going in the right direction from now on!

Sarah Knits said...

I tried the 2 at a time socks but couldn't get on with it, I wondered if my circular needle was too short. I then tried 1 sock on the circular needle and I think I am quicker with dpns, also I can almost do them with my eyes shut on dpns (watching the tv at least) but I had to keep looking at the circular needle. My conclusion was that I would just enjoy the knitting of socks and not worry about how quickly the pair got made - it seems more fun that way (to me anyway).