Monday, March 17, 2008

Recycling

I finished a tub of cocoa the other day and was about to throw it in the recycle bin when I read 'Sorry, not yet recyclable' on the outside of it. Disgraceful. I hate chucking stuff in the big green bin just to go into landfill sites. So I set about playing with a few ideas.

It has long upset me that pretty needles are just hidden away out of site. So I decided to make a knitting needle pot, as oppose to a roll that keeps everything hidden away. Me I like to see what I've got. Give me clutter any day of the week. And I can never find a cable needle or stitch holder when I need one, or even a crochet hook. Not that I crochet, but they're pretty useful for darning in ends.

So I shrank a Colinette cardigan that has never fitted me, never suited me and never lived up to its promises. I cut it up a bit, stuck a few buttons and flowers on, made a pocket and put a thick layer of felt inside so as not to damage the points.

What do you think? Beats throwing it all in a big hole in the ground yes? Oh and incase you wondered, no these are not my only knitting needles. I have plenty more of them, many of which have half finished projects on!

11 comments:

Joan said...

What a great idea. I have some felted pieces of things gone awry and trying to think what to do with it. Some bags and coasters, but a vase of knitting needles is perfect.

Monkee Maker said...

A smashing recycling job, Michaela .... but I thought you weren't allowed clutter in your house?

I hope it's well hidden from you-know-who or it'll be tidied away in a cupboard before you can say "touch my new knitting needle pot and I'll run you through with that big pointy wooden one".

Which, admittedly, should give you plenty of time to wrestle it back out of you-know-who's strong manly and yet kitten-soft hands ....

:)

ps. Sorry, I was getting a bit carried away there, in a truly Mills and Boon stylee ....

pps. I really have no idea whether you-know-who's hands are strong, or manly, or indeed kitten-soft. I was just guessing.

Anonymous said...

That's very NORTY Monkee Maker!!! Have you seen 'when nice knitters get stabby' on youtube? I think maybe that IS you? I keep my knitting needles in a huge Jaffa Cakes drum given to my son, complete with contents of 8 packs Jaffa cakes and a (long lost) trio of orange hairy juggling balls....by an equally long lost girlfriend one Christmas...and then had to add to it and now also have a slightly smaller sized Malteser drum for the thin needles....and am about to commision a drum that held a large whiskey bottle (now finished) at Christmas....do you sense an indulgence theme here...? Maybe after all these years I could get round to finishing them off in this attractive way? Hm, something else for The List! Fran x

Mama said...

You Knitting-Needle-Catch-All is almost as fab as your yard (read "garden")! Won't be long until you've got your own television show - do try and remember the little people, would you dear?

ps: MM is insane! However, since she's asked the question, do tell: kitten-soft?

Michaela said...

Kitten soft? Now come on Monkee Maker, his are the hands of an SAS trained killing machine remember? Strong and manly, oh yes. Yes, yes, yes. Not so much kitten soft, but who cares eh?

One day I'll show you a photo of him. And you will be very surprised!

picperfic said...

clever you...chocolate scented needles...heaven!

Anonymous said...

That is very clever. I like my stuff on show too. Only because I have nowhere to put it! Clutterbunny!! Thinkng of that - have almost finished a pink fluffy knitted bunny for my granddaughter's 3rd birthday tomorrow. From ideas picked up via your blog to others. Thank you.

Mama said...

SAS?

*goes to google*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Air_Service

Ooooooo, sexy!

Rosie said...

very impressive. do you have enough jumper left to mak another one when you've finished the next tin?

Locket Pocket said...

Very nice recycling there Mrs Stash-Basket-Case. But enough of that - tell us more about he-of-the-not-kitten-soft- but-manly-hands!

And tell us soon!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.