Monday, April 16, 2007

Custard Cream

Ok, ok, I give in! I was going to show you this on Wednesday, but as ever, I bow down to popular demand! This cake has gone to a work colleague of a friend. Apparently every day at about 11 am this man unwraps 3 custard cream biscuits for his elevenses. Never changes, always the same, so for his birthday, they thought that this cake would be a good idea. I did wonder about making a bite out of the corner, but hey, who would then eat the 'bite'? Any volunteers for next time? (Sorry Dee, you're out of this one, unless of course I use up all that gluten-free flour I've got...)
Today was back to school day for all the staff (I'm a teaching assistant for a reception class for all of you who don't know me). And hooray and hallelieuia, my own children go back tomorrow. Ah. slight draw back there. I lose 2 and gain 30. Hmm. Should I really be celebrating? Yes of course. How much trouble can 30 four and five year olds be?
I had to take my own dear children to football training tonight. As it was only for an hour, I decided to stay - took my knitting of course to while away the tedium (not really boys, I love to watch you train). I made a flower today. I love making flowers - this one is to go on a cardigan (rib and cable jacket from Debbie Bliss's new book). Have now finished the back, just the sleeves , fronts and collar to go. Wish it would knit as quickly as the flower. Maybe will show you a picture of that another day... if you're interested, you'll have to come back tomorrow.
But of course, if you're not interested, bye bye and it was nice knowing you!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is brilliant! You know where to find me if you're looking for volunteers to eat any spare bits of cake you may have lying around.

Mama said...

As TLG would say, "Yeah! Caaaake! Peas! Mommy! Cake!"

ps: is it suitable for transatlantic transport? :)

Unknown said...

You are writing about cake and knitting - of course we are interested!

Was that a custard-cream flavour cake? That would be dreamy...

Michaela said...

No Claire, plain cake filled with buttercream (proper butter) and home-made raspberry and loganberry jam.

Anonymous said...

wow, what a cake - incredible detail, almost seems a shame to cut into it and eat it but then your description of proper buttercream and homemade jam tipped the balance - definitely a cake for eating!

RooKnits said...

That cake is fantastic!

Di said...

Hello and welcome to blogland!! I love your cake! As a child I used to eat custard creams all the time - eat the top, lick out the cream and eat the bottom!! I have a stash just like yours - but I don't have a husband to worry about!! That way I can keep it wherever I like......

Anonymous said...

Found you through Julie of Little Cotton Rabbits. That cake is a work of art. I bet he was really pleased with it.