Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Disaster in the kitchen...

Today I decided to make some ice cream - ok so the picture looks pretty horrible, but it was actually not at all bad. Brown bread ice cream. I'm trying to be healthy (ha ha) so thought that brown bread in anything must be good news. Never mind the 4 raw eggs, half pint of cream and 4oz of sugar. It's got brown bread in. It must therefore be good news for the diet. The first problem was I didn't have any demerara sugar, no matter, soft brown sugar must be similar. So you toast the sugar and breadcrumbs under the grill until 'lightly golden'. Well it didn't say to watch the crumbs with eagle-eyes. So I didn't. I hung the washing out instead. Next thing I knew, black smoke (and I mean Black) was pouring out of my kitchen door, the smoke alarms were going beserk and the children were asking if I'd burnt something. Moi? I am Cordon Bleu trained. I don't burn things. I hastily threw the whole lot in the bin using my super-thick oven gloves and started again, this time watching very carefully and turning the crumbs at 10 second intervals. Naturally I denied all knowledge of the incident and blamed the smoke on the poor farmer next door who must have had a bonfire.

So tell me please, am I truely the only person who can make ice cream and nearly have to get the Fire Brigade to rescue her?

Back to wooly stuff tomorrow. I feel safer with 2mm needles, some fantastic Posh Yarn and a pattern that is even more complicated than this whole blogging thing...

(Like why have I got a huge space here?)














4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! You're off to a fine start, and best to just pretend that things like, ah, lots of extra space are there intentionally (that's how most of us get by)! I once had oatmeal icecream made for me by a friend in Ireland -- same idea that if it has oatmeal in it, it must be good for you! But no fire department (brigade)....

Ragged Roses said...

Hello and welcome from a fellow new(ish) blogger! Your site looks wonderful, I have really learning as I go along too! That cake you made in an earlier post looks wonderful as does the ice cream! I've tried to make that ice-cream but it was a disaster but not in the fire brigade sense!
Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Michaela,
found you over at Little Cotton Rabbits and thought I'd say hello and welcome to blogland. Yes the technicalities of blogging are challenging at times but I've got marginally better at it 4 months in so you will too!
claire x
P.S My mum used to make that brown bread ice cream and it was yummy . . .on the times when she didn't burn the breadcrumbs!

picperfic said...

I adore brown bread ice cream but my absolute favourite is Delia's rhubarb crumble ice cream here's the link clicky ...your custard cream cake would suit my Barry very well, it's his favourite biscuit too! In fact one of his nicknames is Custard! What a talent you have making these cakes. We should meet up for coffee one day and I could sample one of your cakes lol