Monday, May 4, 2009

On hold...

It pains me to do this, but the latest sock has been put on hold. The photo does not do it justice. It is very pretty - an unusual stitch (well to me at least) that I've never come across before - I now have lots of ribbing to do. It is a fun knit and one I can heartily recommend (come on Sussex Yorkie, you know you want to!) so come on everyone, go here and get the pattern ordered!

Anyway, like I said, this sock is on hold for the week - at least. I am determined to get the blankets sorted. The whole blanket thing has hit a bit of a dead end really. I sent 2 to St Dunstan's, and had an e-mail to say they had arrived - shall we say the recipient (the lady in the fundraising dept who was responsible for dishing them out) does not obviously appreciate the hand made things in life. Sad really. She also said that while they were happy to have more blankets, they thought that maybe a different charity would like some. I took it to mean thanks but no thanks.

So I have been scouring the country. Literally. You wouldn't believe the e-mails I've sent out! It seems that care homes for the elderly have lots already, the ladies like to make them themselves, they have to be classed as fire resistant, oh the excuses I've had. From the people that bothered to reply that is.

And then I had one of those light bulb moments, that I can't quite believe I was so stupid to ignore in the first place. My sister-in-law works in one such care home in North Wales. They do not have lots of blankets. Their residents are not capable of knitting / sewing to make pretty blankets. And as to fire resistant - furniture yes, but blankets? The few knitted blankets they do have are very much favourites in the home. They love colours, they love softness, they love the warmth, they love the fact that people are bothered about them. Strangers like us.

So I will be very busy this week making up lots of blankets - felted jumper ones and knitted squares ones. So bear with me, posting will be slow this week. I have a lot of sewing to do!

10 comments:

Locket Pocket said...

Oh how soul-destroying to get such a negative response to your generosity and care. Your sister-in-law's care home sounds MUCH more deserving!

Lucy x

Rhiannon said...

How sad in the first, but how wonderful that you've found a better place to send the blankets

Happy stitching
xxx

trash said...

your s-i-l's c/hm sounds like a sensible and friendly kind of place. D'y'think you could ask the other one for the blankets back ;-)

Quinn said...

That IS sad about St Dunstan's, but good that you found a better match where people not only appreciate the blankets, but also the caring!

Anonymous said...

Pattern bought! I think the new recipients sound much more deserving, I have a few more squares if you need them.

Gina said...

How disappointing to get that response to all your hard work with the blankets. I'm glad you've found somewhere where they will be loved.

wonderwoman said...

i'm sorry to be blunt but some people just suck - what a horrid response to all your hard work - am sooo very happy that they have now gone to a good loving home and if you need to make any more for said home then count me in to do a bit.


xxxxxxx

Kitty said...

Don't let the ungrateful so and so's get you down Michaela. You do brilliant stuff and I'm sure your SiL's old folks will be only too pleased to have your blankets. x

Chrissy said...

I think you deserve more than this sort of response to your wonderful effort - a medal no less!

Mrs Moog said...

Isn't it sad? I'm sure I read something just today about blankets needed for old folks - I think it's on the ukhandknitting.com website but I've just been back there and can't find it!

Your s-i-l's care home sounds like it will really appreciate the blankets.

xxx