Monday, August 11, 2008

Holidays and an idea...

Tomorrow we're going off on our holidays - yippee!!! Yesterday we went to London - another yippee! I love London! Took the boys to HMS Belfast - which if you've never been is the most fantastic place to take difficult-to-please children. 9 decks to explore of this wonderful battleship. Not everyone's cup of tea I realise, but perfect for 8 and 13 year old boys. This is just a brief paragraph because I need to get onto my idea.

Remember ages ago I suggested the Rugz 4 Kidz project that I'd read about? A blanket is knitted by loads of people using one ball of yarn each, the blanket is then given to needy children. Well I liked the idea of giving it to an older person who feels the winter cold so much more than our wee tiddlies. I have e-mailed so many places and have heard nothing from most people, several 'thanks but no thanks' and only one 'ooh yes please'. I was getting a little despondent but when I heard the yes, I was very excited, as it came from one of my favourite charities - one which is not very well known.

Saint Dunstan's is a charity which helps blind ex-service men and women. A very good friend and former work-colleague of ours has been helped so much by them. Can you imagine life without sight? It is a prospect which would fill me with horror.

It would be great to do some sort of fund-raising for them, but for now I'm quite happy to initiate this blanket. So how about it? Would you like to join in? I will start knitting, post it off to someone else who will knit a bit more, they then post it on to the next person and so on. I will just keep this to the UK due to postage and customs (they wouldn't be too happy at knitting needles sent in the post perhaps?). However, if you are abroad and wish to join in, how about knitting me some 4" squares like we did last last year for Oliver? More patchwork blankets?

Anyway, if you would like to join in with either project, please leave your details in the comment section. I will be away from the computer for 2 weeks now and it would be great to come home and find lots of people willing to help out. I will post more details on my return, but if you could possibly coerce someone else to join in then please send links out to the blogging universe.

Anyone willing to knit a couple of inches will be put into a raffle of some sort, likewise any knitted squares....

Please, please, please?

Added later - if you wanted to start making some 4" squares anyone, please do - use either sock weight or double knitting. I shall start the blanket while I'm away (it will be double knitting). I'm off to pack now - see you when I get back!

13 comments:

wonderwoman said...

hope you have a lovely holiday - put me down for the blanket knitting!
x

Anonymous said...

Count me in for the blanket.
Have a great holiday!

Sue Krekorian said...

And me. Have a great time away.

Mary deB said...

I'll make you a square or two! What weight yarn?

trash said...

errr... i'll give it a bash then Missus.

Locket Pocket said...

Have a wonderful, wonderful holiday - hope you've got loads of knitting packed!

I'd like to help with the knitting too but would probably find it easier to do some squares if possible? Let me know what you think.

Lucy xxx

Mama said...

count me in fir one or both projects - haven't read the details (on the phone with Joan and can't multi-task at the moment - tell you why later)

xoxo!

Happy vacation-ing : )

Crobbles said...

I'm happy to do a bit of knitting too.
I'm on Ravelry as Crobbles.
Have a lovely holiday :-)

Mrs Moog said...

I hope you have a lovely holiday. You can put my name down for the blanket too!!

xxx

Pink Sky said...

If anyone can send in squares, count me in! :)

picperfic said...

I'll do some...not too soon though as I am very busy packing and moving and working and stuff! Have a lovely holiday!

Gina said...

Have a wonderful holiday - and yes I would love to join in with the blanket. It sounds like a terrific idea.

Scarlettina said...

My friends dad has had lots of support from St Dunstans. Please count me in for the blanket. I am scarlettina on ravelry.